Support Line: 01865 410 210

Support Line:
01865 410 210

Oxfordshire health support

Oxfordshire's dementia support services

Oxfordshire has a wide range of support services and professionals specific to dementia care. We can guide you to contact the right people for your situation.

Your GP and social prescribing

GPs play an inmportant role in your continuining health. Those living with dementia should see their doctor at least once a year to track their progression. Any health conecerns also need to be promptly reported to your GP.

However, our health services are stretched at the moment, and so you may be assigned a social prescriber to help you with your general wellbeing. A social prescriber aims to guide you to non-medical groups,  resources, and information.

Occupational therapy

An occupational therapist aims to improve your everyday ability to complete tasks and activities. If you’re struggling with general mobility, or unable to complete tasks you previously were, it could be worth taking part in occupational therapy.

You may be able to get free occupational therapy through the NHS. To enquire, ask your GP practice for further details.

Sensory impairment

Sensory impairment refers to the loss of one or more of your ‘senses’. Oxfordshire county council provides sensory support via both a Hearing and Visual Impairment Team. These teams can help people to better equip their home, give advice on living with an impairment, and link into relevant organisations and associations.

Falls prevention

As we age, we’re more likely to fall, and the consequences of these falls are likely to increase. However, we shouldn’t just accept this increased risk. Oxfordshire is home to a falls prevention service that can help someone get back on their feet, feeling confident again.

The service hosts clinics around Oxfordshire, and can offer home visits in cases of reduced mobility. To qualify for this service, one must have had a fall at least twice in the last year, and once in the last 6 months. Those over the age of 65 can self-refer.

Memory clinic

Someone may get referred to an Oxfordshire memory clinic if their memory has been getting worse. The purpose of the clinic is to assess whether someones is likely to have dementia. From that point onwards, those in Oxfordshire will be referred to us for information, advice, and support.

Foot care

Foot health is extremely important. Poorly maintained feet can lead to a higher chance of falls, infections, and joint damage.

Oxfordshire has a dedicated podiatry team that you can be referred to by a health or social care professional. For more general foot health maintenance, Age UK Oxfordshire has a foot care service.

Bladder and bowel service

The Continence Advisory Service provides community-based support for individuals aged two and above who experience bowel and/or bladder issues. Access to their services requires a referral from a healthcare or education professional.

Clinics are available throughout Oxfordshire. In certain cases, home visits may also be arranged. Their operating hours are Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, excluding bank holidays.

Older adult mental health

The community-based mental health service is dedicated to individuals aged over 65 facing mental health issues, including support for younger people with dementia. They also provide advice, health information, and education for various care providers and teams.

Therapies offered include medication, cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), interpersonal therapy, and family therapy.

Nutrition and diet

Registered dietitians are the sole qualified health professionals authorized by law to assess and treat dietary and nutritional issues. They base their guidance on the latest public health and scientific research, translating it into practical advice for individuals to make informed lifestyle and dietary choices.

The Community Nutrition and Dietetic Team serves adults and children throughout Oxfordshire, offering services in various settings, including digital consultations and group education sessions. 

Thames Valley dental services

The Thames Valley dental service specializes in providing care to children and adults who cannot receive treatment from a general dental practitioner but do not require hospital-level care. To access their services, individuals must be referred to their service. See if you meet the referral criteria.

Home improvement

Oxfordshire County Council offers free home assessments for equipment, aids, and adaptations. An occupational therapist (OT) will conduct this assessment, focusing on disability-related needs, mobility within the home, and the ability to manage personal and domestic tasks. They will also consider the needs of caregivers. After the assessment, the OT will discuss options, which could involve providing equipment, recommending where to purchase it, suggesting home alterations, or finding alternative ways to perform daily activities.

Anyone can request an assessment, with referrals possible from social workers, doctors, or health visitors.

More in this topic


Skip to content