Dementia Oxfordshire warmly welcome volunteers from all backgrounds who want to make a difference. Being a volunteer can be immensely rewarding, our volunteers tell us they get great satisfaction from supporting people in their community.
We are currently recruiting volunteer In-Person Befrienders. This is an opportunity to provide vital companionship and helping to reduce social isolation for people living with dementia. You will be helping to increase the quality of life of people living with dementia in Oxfordshire.
In order to live well with dementia, people need companionship, enjoyment, understanding and a listening ear. We provide training and on-going support for our volunteers to befriend, reduce social isolation and increase the well-being of people living with dementia, their families and carers.
Your role would include:
- Regular visits to a client at home to build an ongoing friendly relationship
- Giving the person with dementia mental stimulation and companionship
- Providing respite for their carers
- In time, your role could develop to support a client to attend a day centre or memory café.
- You could be chatting over a cup of tea, reminiscing using the client’s photo albums, stimulating memory with Life Story work, playing Scrabble or encouraging the client to continue with previous activities like knitting.
- All we ask is that you are friendly with an outgoing manner, keen to help others and happy to learn more about dementia
All volunteers are required to declare previous criminal convictions and provide two satisfactory references.
Please get in touch. We would love to hear from you and tell you more about how you can help. To find out more or apply to be a Volunteer please call 01865 410210 or email email@example.com.